NEW SURFSIDE PIER

les freese
Surfside Beach pier being demolished

From staff reports
The Facts

Published September 16, 2009

SURFSIDE BEACH — The company planning to showcase its wave-energy technology off the Freeport coast has begun removing an old pier in Surfside Beach, but plans to build another one.

Independent Natural Resources Inc. had to remove the pier, which has been unusable since Hurricane Ike made landfall Sept. 13, 2008, because it was determined dangerous and condemned by Texas General Land Office, company Vice President Doug Sandberg said.

The company, which owns the pier and the property adjacent to it, believes the pier is important and hopes to begin construction of a new one sometime after hurricane season concludes in November, Sandberg said. It will be open to the public for fishing and recreational use.

“It serves both of our purposes,” Sandberg said. “It brings value to our property and value to the community.”

The company plans to start placing its wave-driven pumps about a mile off the Freeport coast near the Brazos River’s mouth late this year, Sandberg said.

Re: NEW SURFSIDE PIER

TX Surf
Administrator
just noticed this.  been working too much.  creating a new tx skateboarding dvd too on http://www.texasstyleskateboarding.com/ which weebly is working on so hope it loads again soon.
are they making wave pumps or just a pier?  the wave driven tech part was confusing other than maybe for durability of the structure.